Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Freedom of the Road

Since I was about 14, I've been intrigued with motorcycles. The loud rumbling sound of the pipes, the shiny chrome sparkling in sunlight, the feeling of my hair dancing in the wind. I've ridden on the back of Harleys with friends and even braved the occasional dirt bike. I have toy motorcycle models littered about my house and I've had an expensive Harley-Davidson leather jacket hanging in my closet since I was 16.

I took the motorcycle safety course when I was 17 and got the special little "M" class on my drivers license. I've collected Harley-Davidson t-shirts from Fairbanks, Alaska all the way to Tijuana, Mexico.

One of my favorite motorcycle ads is below. The small caption in the bottom left-hand corner, which you probably can't read, says: "There it is: road, sky, elbowroom. Plum for the picking behind the handlebar of your own H-D motorcycle. Hair dancing in the wind. The roar of the engine drowning out the opinions of the world."



This ad hangs in my little grey cubicle at work. It used to remind me that one day I, too, would own a motorcycle. Today it reminds me that I only have eight hours separating me from my motorcycle!!

We did it! Sheldon and I took the plunge and bought a motorcycle. It's a Honda, which is not a Harley, but I enjoy it just the same. Plus it probably rides smoother than a Harley anyway.

Open road, here we come!








13 comments:

Lydia said...

Oh my gosh! Congratulations! That is so awesome! I've only ridden on a motorcycle once, and it was great. I got to wear the big H-D jacket (very big!) and everything. Jon's uncle took me out on it, and I couldn't stop smiling the whole time.

Have fun!

Jill Anderson said...

Thanks! Luckily I have a full face helmet so I don't have to risk getting bugs in my teeth while I'm smiling. :)

KarenD said...

Wahoo! I got to ride it last night! Our wild and crazy LifeGroup! Nose rings, motorcycles, what will be next?

Lindsey said...

Congrats on your dream come true. I feel like I should get a tatoo just to fit in with all you other crazies.

I admire the freedom of a motorcycle from afar, but would never ride one myself. Do you know how easy it would be to get carjacked in one of those?

Lydia said...

@ Lindsey: Hahaha! You crack me up. :)

Jill Anderson said...

Yah, but I'd have a chance to fight 'em off if they were trying to crawl under my motorcycle and sever something important. ;)

KarenD said...

Oooh, and the motorcycle is definitely not good in the rain. I mean, I know you won't drive it intentionally in the rain, but with our crazy Texas weather, you never know!

Jill Anderson said...

Sheldon and I have discussed this: Rule #1 - no driving in the rain, ever.
Rule #2 - always wear protective gear, even in the summer when we don't want to.
Rule #3 - take it easy on roads we haven't driven before.

KarenD said...

Ha! Rules of the Road, huh?

Eliza Doohickey, you still out there?

Lydia said...

I'm in favor of the rules. So many bikers get cocky in their ability, and take chances they shouldn't. I'm glad you're not going to do that.

I just realized that car drivers do that, too, it's just not so evident. Going too fast, talking on the phone, zipping in and out of rush hour traffic. Crazies, all of 'em. :)

elizadoohicky said...

what? did I miss something? or were you just missing me? I recently switched to my new mac book and didn't have the blog urls bookmarked.

I am back!

elizadoohicky said...

it is funny, though...your last blog talks about agonizing over the decision to have children...then the next one is "nevermind. we'll get a bike instead."
LOL!

Jill Anderson said...

Eliza! You're back! My blog definitely reveals the crazy inner-workings of my decision-making abilities. :)