Sunday, April 19, 2009

Can she talk?

Two times this weekend, I was asked the same question by two different little girls. I found the answer obvious, but then I realized a child wouldn’t necessarily know the answer. Can she talk? And then after I explained that Sophie is too young to talk just yet, I thought that sounded weird coming out of my mouth. She “talks”. The better word would be “communicate”, but I really feel like Sophie already talks to me.

I know when she’s happy or sad or hurt or excited by her body language and her cries or giggles. I know what she’s thinking by how her eyes look at me. They tell me she wants me to pick her up, that she’s anticipating me tickling her, that she’s tired or she’s mesmerized by something new.

How neat is it that we get to “learn” a new person without them having the ability to speak? A mother knows her child inside and out before he or she can say what he or she likes or dislikes.

So if the question is ever asked again, my answer will be, “Yes, she just doesn’t use words yet.” Unless she is using words by that point…and then the answer will just be, “Yes,” in which case this will be a moot point.

Just one of my thoughts of the day…

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Aw...good post. :)