Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sophie's First Birthday!

Wow! Time has flown. Just one year ago I was experiencing the miracle of a new baby in my arms while trying to figure out this whole new motherhood thing. In this first year, I've learned that motherhood just happens. You can read books and take advice from other moms, but there are times when you're on your own with baby and you figure out how to do it. It being a mother. And you get this overwhelming sense of accomplishment that bubbles inside you. You just want to yell, "Look Mom, I did it! I did it all by myself! I'm a mother too!"

As the months go on, motherhood sinks in and becomes a natural feeling. Diaper bag inventory is written on your brain, feeding and napping queues become obvious, and you can read your child like a book. Making your way through the obstacle course that is your living room becomes your new aerobics class. And lullaby music through the baby monitor is your new coffeehouse jam.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade my little Sophie-bean for anything. It's been an ajustment this year, but I feel like I'm finally fitting comfortably in my role as a Mommy.

In my role as a party planner, I still need a little adjusting, but I think her parties went well this year. Sophie had two birthday parties - one small (we couldn't completely skip her actual birthday) and one big.

The first one was on the 30th. We had a super-cute strawberry cake with strawberry icing, topped with chocolate dipped strawberries. Can you tell what Sophie's favorite fruit is? We also had her favorite dinner - turkey tacos. We had fresh tortillas, ground turkey, cheddar cheese, black beans and avacado. Of course the adults had Sheldon's homemade salsa. Yum!















The second party was on Halloween! We had a baby costume party. Everyone was adorable. Instead of describing everything, I'll just let you see for yourself.

















All of the gifts were awesome and Sophie had a great time opening them. She seemed to enjoy every bit of each party. I was so happy she didn't get cranky... I should have known, she's my little social butterfly.

Happy Birthday my little sweetheart!!

4 comments:

KarenD said...

Your comments on motherhood are spot on! I almost teared up... and thinking about how much our babies change in just a year! We had so much fun at the party. It's hard work to accommodate both friends and family plus host overnight guests and man, all the babies! But from my perspective, you pulled it off without a hitch!

Jill Anderson said...

Awww, thanks Karen! Just thinking about my baby girl growing up makes me want to cry. One year is already gone! At least I have many, many more to spend with my little punkin-head.

Carolyn said...

Judging from the pictures, I'd say both parties were awesome and you get the "Hostess of the Year" award for doing TWO parties for Sophie!

She's so cute; you always have her dressed perfectly.

Lydia said...

LOVE her Halloween costume! Such a cutie. And yeah, I've been quite torn up about the fact that Caleb is almost a year. I'm not ready! I just figured out this baby thing! I want him to stay cute and little and happy and innocent forever.

But I don't want to change diapers forever.