Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Few Christmas Afterthoughts

My view of what Christmas should be might be a bit cliche, but my desire to reach that level of Christmastime enjoyment was made stronger from yet another dull Christmas experience. It comes from a Christmas weekend spent with no decorations, no excitement or joy to be around one another. I can't help it, but I feel a bit jipped. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ, love, family and friends getting together to celebrate each others' friendships, and good food and laughter. This weekend felt like Sheldon and I were rushed through the traditional exchange of gifts, we flew through Christmas light displays at 30 mph (who does that?), we scarfed Christmas dinner while others complained it wasn't done on time, and we waved goodbye to relatives who wanted nothing more but to be left alone.

I look forward to the holidays every year because of the feeling that comes with it. Yes, everyone loves the presents that come with the holidays, but presents aren't everything. The entire Christmas Day shouldn't be centered around what everyone got for everyone else. (I'm not just saying this because you think I didn't get good presents, I did, but that's not the point.) I just feel like we lose the whole spirit of the season if we're stuck in malls and department stores searching for the exact gift that was on someone's list. What's the point in giving if the recipient knows exactly what he or she is getting? Giving loses it's appeal if we're just reduced to carriers who fulfill a request. There's no thought put into it. Maybe that's what the Grinch was getting at.


Thank you to Karen for surprising Sheldon with his gift. He loves it. And it was great that he had no idea what he was about to open, but he loved it because Karen put thought into something Sheldon might like. That's the kind of giving that I like. Yes, I did suggest a "wish list" for our life group giving, but only because I've known people who get cranky at the thought of not getting something on their list. I'm not saying any of you who are reading this has done that. I'd also like to thank Lindsey for getting me Blue Like Jazz, a book that wasn't on my list. I've almost completed it! I love it! And it was a surprise.

Christmas Eve and Day this year felt like we were on a schedule. And nobody laughed, joked around, or even talked at the dinner table. Like I said, scarf and go. It was sullen - like we weren't celebrating anything. It was closer to the mourning of someone's death. Nobody died! Laugh, people! Enjoy each other! (I'm a little bitter, but it's only motivation to improve the mood next year.) The present-opening wasn't much better. Presents were opened and tossed aside with a quick thank you. I'd also like to mention a lot of thought was given to each one. Sad.

On a lighter note, my favorite part about this season was the get-togethers we had with friends. The fondue party was a blast! We spent most of the time around the table eating, laughing and just enjoying each other's company. That's what Christmastime is about. We opened presents too, but that was a minor part to our fun evening of food, friends, and film-viewing.





Thank you to those who made my holiday season merry. :)

8 comments:

KarenD said...

Aw, you're welcome!

Now, don't send your blog address to your inlaws. :-)

Jill Anderson said...

No worries, they wouldn't read it even if I did. :)

T said...

Maybe it is weird that I am reading your blog, but this is Lindsey (and Karen)'s friend that you interviewed for your magazine. I read their blogs and Karen put a link to yours so that is how I got here.

Sorry the holiday itself was stinky, but that fondue certainly looks fun :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I loved everything you got me & even though we had to put together a list here at work, I put many things on it so that I could be suprised! =)

BTW yeah its so true about people just rushing through Christmas, not really thinking about the meaning.

Lindsey said...

I got Traveling Mercies for Christmas and have been reading it...it's good, but BLJ is better, in my opinion!

You can borrow my copy any time you want to compare and form your own opinion.

Hope you'll enjoy driving ince and slow through the lights tomorrow!

Jill Anderson said...

Thanks Linds! You would drive nice and slow through the lights just for me? :)

I just might have to borrow Traveling Mercies from you, but only after I finish In Her Shoes. Sheldon bought it for me the other day as a surprise. Have you been enjoying it so far? He also bought me the DVD, but I'm not going to watch it until I finish the book. You can borrow it if you want to.

KarenD said...

I want to see the movie In Her Shoes! Can we watch that for our next girlie sleepover? And Love Actually, too...

Jill Anderson said...

Only if I finish the book by then. I better start reading! I'll probably start tonight, I only have one chapter left in Blue Like Jazz.