Friday, December 29, 2006

Sisters

No doubt, there's a definite bond between sisters. It's mysterious. It's unexplainable. It's like a force that will never separate you. Even if you wanted it to.

You can be mad at each other, but never resist the temptation to call one another when something unusual, exciting or interesting happens. You can disagree on everything and still find a way to talk about anything. You can be complete opposites, living opposite lives, yet laugh over coffee at each others' stories of life trials and challenges.

I have three sisters. Two of whom I grew up with. One lives in Texas, one lives in Alabama, and one lives in Tennessee. The crazy thing is, when something dramatic happens to any of them, I can feel it.

We've lived together as children and adults. We've cried, laughed, shared, fought, played, slept, shopped, camped, and celebrated together. My life is filled with memories of sisters. Memories of weddings, paintball, four-wheeling in Alaska, great accomplishments, stealing ice cream from the freezer at night, playing Barbies after bedtime, and sitting around the burning trash can (a.k.a. the bonfire) talking about the day's activities.

There are times I'm so frustrated with them that I swear I'll never talk to them again, and then, two seconds later I realize my life wouldn't be complete without them. They'll always be my sisters.

Brittany (the Texas sister) and me at Thanksgiving.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I agree...sisters are wonderful! I loved the doll and Barbie phase with my own sisters, but we are having lots of fun being grown up friends now.

KarenD said...

Aw, me no have sisters. But I love my sis-in-law Lydia to death!

Lydia said...

Well, I guess I better come out of lurkage, since I was mentioned by name! I love having a sis-in-law, too. We don't have Barbie memories together, but we do have other memories!

Brothers, on the other hand, are a totally different beast. Brothers steal the Barbie car and throw the Barbie earrings down the drain. Then demand that we play with GI Joes. And then he erases it all from his memory. :)

Jill Anderson said...

I love being grown up friends now too. It guarantees that I'll always have another woman to understand where I'm coming from. Life Group sisters are great too! :)

Thankfully, I was out of the Barbie phase by the time my brother was old enough to know what they were. I feel your pain though, I had baby sisters during the Barbie phase. :)

Lindsey said...

I had a younger brother who actually liked Barbies...he'd use them as the trophy girlfriend in his G.I. Joe action figure games.

KarenD said...

I wonder if Alan would admit to that or if he, like John, erases such memories from his childhood.

Roses and Grace said...

Jill... I've never had a sister, can I be your adopted sister?? By the way, I was reading all your blogs, and I think that you should write a novel about your life... I think it would sell, and I would buy a copy.. your so funny ;) I LOVE YOU!!!