Thursday, March 1, 2007

Beach or Bust

During the planning process of my summer vacation, I've discovered I'm the most indecisive person I know. Actually, I know exactly where I want to go. Said vacation spot doesn't relate well to my budget.
Other than knowing for certain that I'd love to spend a week at an all-inclusive Sandals Resort, I know that I definitely want to be at a pretty beach. I can't pick which beach though. Some of the locations I'm considering are below.

Mexico:
Cancun or Riviera Maya (relatively similar in location).
Pros
Pretty beach. All-inclusives available. 4-5 star resorts fit within our budget. I know exactly where my passport is.
Cons
I don't speak Spanish. Sheldon can't find his passport. I refuse to change planes in Mexico City; it must be a direct flight. I have to book the vacation early to ensure flight schedule and good prices.
Link to possible hotel

Pictures


Carribbean:
There's really not a point in listing all of this because we can't afford it. But I'll do it anyway.
Pros
Love the beaches! Well...from the pictures I've seen. I don't really know anything else about it.
Cons
The cost.
Links to possible hotels

Pictures

Alabama:
Pros
Beautiful beaches. Family is close by. I don't have to book anything early. We can drive. The hotels are affordable. It's in the U.S. - no passport required.
Cons
Family is close by (*I realize I have this in both categories). The hotels aren't all-inclusive and they're only 1 or 2 star-rated. However, I did find a really cute bed and breakfast, which is extremely affordable.
Link to possible B&B

Pictures

*Family ranks as a pro and a con on vacation. Pro: I don't live near them so it would be nice to be able to visit everyone while I have a week off in June. Con: I don't want to be overrun with family during my "baby-makin'" vacation. :) So you can see, they don't cancel each other out even though family is listed on both the pros and the cons list.

I think by the time vacation gets here, I won't care where I'm going as long as I'm with my husband and we're going somewhere with pretty water. But you can still comment on what your decision would be. :)


10 comments:

KarenD said...

OK, I am going to take some time and look at your links later, but first let me say...

YOU SAID you haven't had a vacation that wasn't to visit family since your honeymoon. SOOOO, what's this about planning to see family? I thought this was for you and Sheldon, your anniversary vacation!

My vote is for NOT Alabama, you big goober!

elizadoohicky said...

try to get ONE extra day off and let that be a family visit at the END of the trip.

And don't try to hard to "make" ---trust me when I say it leads to frustration and anxiety if you think in any other terms besides "che sera" and don't worry, "sera"

Cancun was OK, but in June it can actually still be a little chilly--weird, I know but I have been told this...thus spoiling the beach experience.

I vote for Alabama and the B&B.

OR you could drive a little further and do Florida--ALexis goes to Naples every other year for pretty cheap--I could ask her where they stay and $$

elizadoohicky said...

after reading Karen's comment, I agree: ALabama is OUT.

And Sheldon has plenty of time to get another passport...

and FUN JET has great all inclusives to Cancun...

Lindsey said...

I always like the simplicity of a U.S. vacation. But I agree with the other posts; this is supposed to be a vacation for the two of you.

Florida does have beautiful beaches...I'd look into those options, and then if you choose to drive, you can always swing by to see family on the way home. Maybe to share the good news! :-)

KarenD said...

Sadly, you won't know that soon to share any news. Waiting until the next "cycle" is hard!

Jill Anderson said...

About Alabama...let me first explain. My mom already knows this is a "get-away" vacation. We're staying on the beach Sun-Thurs, they live three hours north of Gulf Shores, and my dad will be working during the week. So I told them that if we came to Alabama, we'd visit them after our stay on the coast.

So we would be alone for the duration of our "vacation" time-frame. Just thought I'd add that little smidgen of info.

Anonymous said...

VIVA Mexico....that is all I have to say! NO FAMILY!!!!

KarenD said...

OK, well, I do have to admit that the Alabama beach front BNB looks wonderful, and it is a good price.

I wouldn't worry about speaking Spanish in Cancun. I'm sure they're used to America tourists and have people who speak English.

As far as the Caribbean, we really liked Jamaica. If we were to go back, I'd consider some sort of all-inclusive resort. Dunns River Falls is a must!

Lydia said...

I just heard about St. Simons Island yesterday. It's a beach area in Georgia, and I heard it was beautiful. You don't have to go there, but I just didn't realize there were other places besides Florida for beaches. :) There are probably affordable places all along the coast.

KarenD said...

YOU NEED TO BLOG!!!!

Hey, how's your computer?