Thursday, June 28, 2007

Top 5 Pet Peeves

In my opinion, venting is a healthy way to release stress and/or tension. This week has been very stressful and/or tense for me. Coming back from paradise and entering into the threshold of hell (my grey cubicle world) has required much patience from me.

So here goes – things that have caused steam to spontaneously blow from my ears this week.

1. People who think it’s OK to sit in front of the speaker at a restaurant drive-thru and talk on their phone to someone else for 10 minutes! Who does that?! Take the stinkin’ order before getting in line or go inside! I would have gone inside but I was in a hurry and actually knew what I wanted to order when I entered the drive-thru line.

2. Grocery store meanderers. This is someone who swerves back and forth on the aisle trying to figure out what it is they might want to buy. Make a list before you go! Should there be a designated passing lane in all grocery store aisles? I would vote for it.

3. Drivers who are the first in line at a red light and aren’t paying attention. These people have a responsibility to the rest of the people behind them to pay attention to when the light will be turning green! Take it seriously!

4. Drivers who slow down to 0 miles per hour to turn their steering wheel in an attempt to turn their car down the next road. People it doesn’t work if your foot isn’t on the gas! There’s no such thing as a pause in between driving and turning onto another road. Get used to the movement.

5. Co-workers who totally disregard all friendly social rules. Example: If Party A wants to move Party B’s files from one cabinet to another, Party A should ask Party B first! Who cares is Party B is on vacation for week. Party A should just wait or at least send an e-mail to Party B letting him or her know where the stinkin’ files were relocated.

Ahh. I feel better. Anyone else want to add to this list?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I think you hit them all. I agree with you on alll 5.

Jill Anderson said...

I only have a mild case of road rage. I promise. ;)

KarenD said...

One of my pet peaves is being patronized. I DO NOT like being talked down to or made to feel stupid. (Does anyone, really?) That's why I hate talking to insurance companies! I do have to tell myself that when the lady calls me ever so sweetly, "Hun" or "Sweetie" that she is just being her southern self and not meaning to sound like she's talking to a child.

Jill Anderson said...

Did I spell "peeve" wrong? Is it really "peave"? I feel dumb. Don't patronize me. ;)

T said...

No "peeve" is right. Were you by chance at the Lake Air HEB when you were frustrated by meanderers? I always used to have to shop there at about 5 when I got done teaching and there were always people in the way with their carts! I always try to make it down an aisle as quickly as I can and grab what I want from that aisle because I hate being crowded while grocery shopping.

Jill Anderson said...

Yes! That's where I shop. It's so frustrating.

Lindsey said...

You need to go to the Wooded Acres HEB and use the tiny carts. You can zoom in and out of crowds with ease!

I also feel road rage. I hate it when people are going slow on a two-lane road and they don't pull over to let me by.

elizadoohicky said...

I have one; how about in the greeting card isle when they use their cart and their body to block a good 8 feet worth of card selection and refuse to notice that someone is standing by their cart trying to decide if it would be OK to move it so I can reach the cards I have been patiently reading from afr for five minutes...I even try to read ALL the outsides I can see and narrow it down first before reaching across the cart to check the insides....sheesh!

KarenD said...

This morning, this suburban drove on my butt practically the whole way from my house to the highway. First of all, I was NOT going to speed in the Hewitt neighborhood speed trap. Then, I was behind a string of cars. What did she want me to do? I couldn't very well go faster. Then, when we got to the access road, she tried to pass me when there was less than a car length's space in front of me. I was like, "Oh, no you don't" and zoomed up to close in the gap. It would've been different if I had been going slower than everyone else. But she wouldn't have gained anything from just passing little ole me. Suburban woman thinks she rules the road. Thanks for letting me vent. Phew!

Jill Anderson said...

@Cortney: That happened to me the other day too! It's so annoying!

@Karen: Yes! I hate it when people do that. I know I have a big truck, but it doesn't matter, they still do that to me too.

Margie said...

People on cell phones. In my interactions with them in customer service/retail jobs, in driving with them, in interacting with them period. Sorry...that might include all of you. I'm anti-cell phone. Keep private conversations at home. Ok, that feels good.

KarenD said...

Have you abandoned this blog?