Monday, June 4, 2007

Summer

My perception of summer has changed over the years. Summer used to be freedom from school or work, days spent on the lake, sleeping-in, vacations spent with family, staying out until dark, the smell of campfire lingering on my clothes, and slumber parties every night. It used to be a season worth looking forward to.

Now I work 40 or more hours per week and I have no time to spend at the lake. Sleeping in is non-existent; even on weekends the latest I’m able to stay in bed is 9 a.m. My family lives 14 hours to the east and Sheldon’s family lives 4 hours to the west. Camping seems too overwhelming to do ourselves – it’s too much work, we’re supposed to be relaxing!

The preparation that goes into the one week of vacation I do get this summer just proves that all adults are out to look better than everyone else, not to have fun splashing in the water.

For women, it’s highlights for the hair, tanning - either by bronzer or tanning bed, special exfoliating lotions to smooth the skin, a new bathing suit, new clothes to match the new bathing suit, new flip-flips for every color shirt you bought to match all your bathing suits, a new workout schedule to tone all the flabby, a diet to accompany the gym membership, and dreading barbeques because they’re all red meat and desserts!

I still voluntarily participate in the aforementioned activities because I don’t want to be the topic of pool-side conversation. And as I sit in the salon for four hours, I think to myself, this is why I love fall and winter so much. I can go without shaving for months and no one is the wiser. I don’t have to keep up with a pedicure, brunette is in for the cold months, and tanning isn’t necessary. I can wear big, comfortable clothes because it’s cold and people are supposed to wear comfy clothes in the winter. No one even cares if you eat chocolate on a daily basis or hearty meals because that’s what you do during the holiday season. Who wants a salad for Thanksgiving? I certainly don’t.

Since summer’s on its way, and I have to live through it in order to get to fall, I figure I should enjoy it. I will make it a point to spend at least a couple weekends at the lake, plan healthy barbeques with friends, and enjoy Mexico and all it has to offer when I leave for my week vacation in mid-June.

Anyone up for pineapple chicken kabobs?

4 comments:

elizadoohicky said...

mmmmm pineapple chicken kabobs are so yummy. I love summer meals because since it is so hot, you actually WANT to eat the light and healthy stuff. (Excluding desserts, of course)
I also boycott the "summer blonde" for a darker brunette EVRY YEAR without fail. It is usually subconcious, but I realize afterwards.

This year I have sworn off the sun. too close to those tender years of crows feet and laugh lines...can't risk it.

I also REFUSE to own more than the TWO pair of flip flops that I own. Brown and Black. No need to draw attention to my homemade pedicure...hahah!

BUT, if I was going on vaca to Mexico...I would be thinking twice...and buyingmore flip flops...

But you will feel so awesome looking your best wile vacationing, instead of schlepping around like a college kid. Feel every bit as elegant and wonderful as you truly are and know it will all be worth it!

Have fun, pretty baby!

KarenD said...

Oooh we had steak, pineapple kabobs last night. We marinated the meat in balsamic vinegar, but it didn't seem to have much flavor. But you've reminded me of that yummy charred pineapple marinade at HEB... perfect for chicken and veggies threaded on skewers and grilled to tender perfection! Serve with a side of brown rice, and you've got a mostly healthy summer barbecue meal!

Jill Anderson said...

@Eliza: I have a hair appointment on Saturday and I'm seriously considering going darker. I might be subconciously boycotting blonde too. Hmmm. I always think of brunettes as "classic beauties" rather than "fake beauties." I'm ready to move into my classic beauty stage. :)

@Karen: I've never had steak and pineapple kabobs. It sounds interesting...I may have to try that one. Mmmm.

KarenD said...

Eh, stick with the chicken.