Thursday, November 8, 2007

In the Spirit of Giving Thanks

The holidays are fast-approaching. Commercials have flooded the TV screen promising the best sales around. The baking aisle at the grocery store is jam-packed and the shelves are empty. The weather is cool, and I got my first holiday-themed Starbucks cup of the season today filled with a creamy eggnog latte heated to the perfect temperature. I love the holidays!

As I sit curled up in my warm house, in my jammies, with a cinnamon candle glowing in the background and my husband next to me watching a good movie, I can't help but be thankful for everything around me. I'm looking forward to spending Thanksgiving in Alabama with my family. This holiday used to just be merely a day when we ate lots of food. Of course, as a child, I was more excited about Christmas and what Santa had in his big bag of gifts for me.

Now, as I've grown older, Thanksgiving has become the holiday I look most forward to. It has a certain innocence about it. People aren't wearing costumes or expecting gifts. It's just about family and friends. It's just about being thankful for all the blessings in our lives.

And it's not only when everything is going great in our lives that I enjoy Thanksgiving. Even during the hard times in our marriage or economically, I still enjoyed the holiday because it always reminded me that my life is still filled with blessings. It was in those times that I became even more grateful for friends and family.

So as the holiday nears, I look forward to spending time with the people that mean the most to me (LG included!) and diggin' in to those sweet potatoes!

3 comments:

KarenD said...

I like Thanksgiving, too. It even seems less stressful than Christmas. I always know what to fix people to eat, but I have a hard time knowing what to buy them for a gift!

Jill Anderson said...

I'm right there with ya. It's so hard deciding what to get someone, and whether they'll like what you picked out or will they be one of many standing in the return lines at department stores. And then, if you choose to get them a gift card, will they think you didn't put enough thought into it? (I'm not included in that group - thanks so much for the b-day gift cards!!)

Lindsey said...

Just family and food. Good, pure, happiness.