Thursday, January 3, 2008

Compulsive Hoarder?

I read this interesting article about how people who are disorganized may have a mental illness. The link is below. I know I made organization one of my resolutions for 2008, but I doubt I'm plagued with a OCHD (Obsessive-Compulisive Hoarding Disorder).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/health/01well.html?no_interstitial

People who suffer from this illness are known as "complusive hoarders." Is this ridiculous or am I just out of touch with all the disorders out there? Apparently if you're disorganized, you're also overweight and your life is in shambles. I just want somewhere to put my shoes and mail when I walk in the house!

I thought I would read an encouraging article about organization and it made me paranoid about everything else! Crazy.

5 comments:

Roses and Grace said...

Jill - I think your perfect!!

Jill Anderson said...

Aw...thanks Kristan! 1 person down, 1 billion to go. ;)

KarenD said...

Ugh... there the medical profession goes again, making up new disorders to explain bad habits or personality quirks. I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies are behind this... they want to sell us a drug for OCHD. Side effects include moodiness, nausea, a reverse effect of OCD, blood clots, night sweats, or sometimes even death. Women who are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant (and who likely have most the side effects anyway) should not take this medicine. Be sure to tell your doctor if you've had kidney or liver disease. This medicine is not right for everyone, yadda, yadda...

Jill Anderson said...

That's exactly how I felt when I read that article! Nicely said.

Small Town Hero said...

I wouldn't worry about diagnosing yourself just yet. Just wait until someone who you trust and who knows you tells you that you may have a problem:) Then again by description I'm OCD...go figure. After working in the medical profession I have come to the conclusion that everything is a side effect for everything. For instance, one of my favorite medications to give is Nitro. It's used for heart attacks. Side Effects: heart complications. Adverse Reactions: heart complications. Seems to me that all the label is for on a medication is for looks (a CYA for the pharm company). I just blame my perspective on cynicism and too many late nights..haha