Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Twenty-one weeks and counting

Today little Sophie is 21 weeks (gestational age). Only 19 more to go! Time is flying by and Sheldon and I have barely just bought the crib! Pretty soon we’ll have a little girl who will be taking all of our time, so we’ll have no time to clean out, organize, decorate…or do anything else.

Sophie’s kicks have become more frequent and stronger in the past couple of weeks. I can pretty much feel her every day now, but not for very long periods of time. It’s a weird-cool feeling. It’s nothing that I can even remotely explain. You mamas out there will know what I’m talking about, as for everyone else just try to imagine the feeling. It’s like a light flick on your skin, but coming from the inside of your stomach. Or a gas bubble without the end result. Or like a rubber ball rolling on your skin, from the inside. Whatever the feeling, it makes me smile when I feel it.

We still can’t feel or see her little kicks from the outside yet. I’m looking forward to that day when my belly moves by itself and I can see Sophie’s little body changing position. I’m sure that’ll be another weird-cool experience.

Since my belly has grown considerably in the past few weeks, I find myself belly-gazing a lot recently. When I’m riding (not driving…haha) in the car or thinking about something at work, instead of staring off in the distance, I’ll stare down at the bump that is my stomach. I still can’t believe there’s a little living, breathing human in there. It’s amazing.

Speaking of the bump, here’s a recent picture of the growing belly and some friends from work.



Oh, BabyCenter says, "Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like she's practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now."

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

You look great! Sophie is lucky to have parents like you...

Jill Anderson said...

Thanks Carolyn! I hope we're the parents we plan to be.

KarenD said...

Can't wait to meet Sophie!