Friday, January 5, 2007

Soul Searching

I finally graduated from college - six years of knowing exactly what I had to do to reach my goal. I thought by now I would know exactly what it is that I'm supposed to do post-college.

Since 5th grade, teachers have been telling me to set goals for myself and reach for the stars. Not bad advice, but I'm not sure which stars to reach for anymore. I've reached the goals that seemed obvious like finish high school, finish college, get married, and now...what? It's up to me to make the decisions.

I never really thought about what I'd do when I finished college besides get a job, have a family, and live my life the way I wanted to. But after attending Baylor for two years, I know I'm supposed to do more than just a "job". But what is it? Suddenly working to make money for myself seems meaningless. What's the point of being put on this earth if all I'm going to do is work for a company to buy stuff that I want. It's obvious that I need money to survive, so working is a good thing, but I think I should work to do something that will change lives. And not just for my own conscience, but for the betterment of the next generation.

The one thing I'm almost sure about is that God gave me a talent for writing. (Somebody tell me if I've got it wrong). What am I supposed to do with that? There are so many options, so many different parts of the world that need help in so many different ways. I'm one person. How can I make some part of the world better before I leave Earth?

As most of you who are reading this know, I'm a criminal justice planner. I hear about abuse and violence stories almost every day. I hear about the needs in the counties around me, but what am I to do about it? Do I become a lawyer and help victims directly? Do I become a social worker? Should I volunteer at some of the agencies that help these people? As someone who hears stories of this nature, I feel partly responsible for letting the problems continue if I don't do anything about them.

I've traveled to different parts of the world and I've seen where living conditions are not at the "American" standard. How do I help those people? Do they have to live like that for the rest of their lives? Am I supposed to accept the fact that they were born in that situation and they'll have to deal with it? What can I do to help educate populations who don't have public schools? What can I do to help women who are oppressed?

I've lived a weekend as a homeless person. It wasn't a lifetime, but it felt like it. The only thing that kept me going throughout the weekend was the fact that I knew I was going to a nice warm home Sunday afternoon, and that I have family and friends who would help me if I was ever in the same situation. What can I do to help people who live this way permanently? What should I do about the poverty that is not only in my own town, but also around the world?

So what do I do? Who do I help? How do I help? I know there's something more, I'm just not sure on the details yet. My worst fear is that I'll spend the majority of my life trying to figure out what to do, and I won't actually do anything. My life will be wasted worrying. I don't want to live that way. So let me know if you have the answer to my life dilemma. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good blog, great questions. I heard a sermon 2 years ago by Bill Hybles that dealt with your questions. He said that we must all find our "holy discontent." We must find the thing that we are passionate about and strive to glorify God in that thing. When we do this our life has purpose and meaning.

KarenD said...

As part of my annual review at work last year, I was charged to find an outlet for community involvement. I wanted to use the stuff I do for the church, but I was told to list some other options. I wanted to use my skill set, just like you.

What you will find is that agencies in this area typically hire someone to do their communications since it is such a necessary position. (I'd venture to say it's a necessary position for any business.) They may not pay these people well, and they may not be the right people for the right job, but it's a position nonetheless. But you might find that non-profits, even if you can't find a job at one, will gladly accept your volunteer service. One place I looked into... Carenet Pregnancy Center, said they would love to have some help with writing and graphic design. They had someone in house, but often needed to outsource and couldn't afford to.

I'd say, figure out where you passion is... with abused families? With the poor? With kids? And then find one of the numerous agencies in town and offer your services. I bet they'd accept.

John said he was quite impressed with a presentation and tour by Mission W*** at seminary this week. He said he could really tell they were doing a good thing and doing it well.

Lindsey said...

Or...you could just have a baby.

elizadoohicky said...

FEELING YOUR PAIN....where to go, what to do....what is really important? What about that grant writing stuff you were into? Non-profits ALWAYS need grant writers. ANd if you need a place to practice, I have a few grants Paul and I are looking into in the near (Very near) future for some projects that perhaps you could wet your feet with!

KarenD said...

Babies!

Jill Anderson said...

Thank you for all of your advice/suggestions/comments. It has helped me to realize that I'm not the only one who wonders about this stuff!

Baby plans are in the near future. :) Also, I was at my last community planning meeting yesterday for the year (woohoo!), and the president of the HOTCOG mentioned they wanted to start a grant writing position possibly in the spring. I'm hoping to talk to HR about that possibility.

Ms. Doohicky...we'll talk. :)

KarenD said...

Post pictures of your painting!

Lindsey said...

Hey, I saw that you were online for a while this afternoon. Why isn't there a new post? Your loyal fans await your newest thoughts.