Thursday, August 14, 2008

No Crystal Ball

Nobody gets a peek at the future. Why do you think we’re designed that way? Why do you think we’re not allowed to know how everything will turn out? Would it take all the fun out of life? Would it not allow us to learn from our mistakes?

These questions came up because I often think when making a decision, “If I just knew what the circumstances are going to be, I could make the right decision.” But all we’re left with to make important life decisions is what we already know about a situation and potential circumstances. To add to that, it seems that if we knew the future of some of our actions, we might change our minds about the decision if the path turns out to be too difficult, and we would never learn or gain what we needed to from a situation.

Have I completely lost you in my babble yet? The reason I was thinking about all this is because in my recent childbirth class, the instructor talked about the different ways to “help” along the birth of the baby. All of which included using one’s legs. I thought I was completely decided on getting an epidural, but if I go this route, I won’t be able to have control over what’s going on down there. For example, I wouldn’t be able to move onto all fours to shift Sophie’s position from posterior to anterior, the way she’s intended to come out.

However, I want to be alert, not groggy, and experience as little pain as possible when Sophie is born. That equation equals epidural. I’ve decided I don’t want any other kind of pain reliever because they generally just make one drowsy and “not all there.” I want to be completely “there” when Sophie’s born so I know what’s going on and I know what options I have if something goes wrong.

The part where knowing the future comes in is that if I knew how Sophie is going to be positioned, how long my labor will be, and how much pain I can actually handle, I could make the perfect decision for Sophie and me! Where’s my crystal ball?! I’m scared!

I just pray that I do make the right decision. But if I do have complications, the one thing that will get me through it all is knowing that I will have our little girl in my arms soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When all the right breathing techniques just quite don't take your mind off the pain,you will know that the epidural is the right way to go.

Carolyn said...

AMEN!!

Lydia said...

Well you know I feel like I'm in the same boat! I want to be able to have as much control over my body (and therefore the birth) as I can. I realize that I can never have complete control, but it feels like I'm giving up quite a bit when I lose the use of my legs! That's been my biggest hangup about the epidural. But then I think, "Who cares about my legs if I'm in so much pain I can't think straight??" But that's something I won't know until I get there. Only God knows what we're capable of handling, and what's best for us/our babies, so we can pray that He will let us know when we need to know. :)

KarenD said...

Well, and Lydia will remember this well, you'll need people to help hold up your legs during the pushing with the epidural.

Don't get the other meds. I had some first before the epidural and it did NOTHING for the pain, just made me drowsy, like you said.

Sophie should settle into her position a few weeks before, so you'll have an idea of where she is. Then, if she's not in place, there are exercises you can do BEFORE labor that will help.

I would say, "Don't be scared, you'll do great." But it is scary because you've never experienced it, and it's something HUGE and significant... the birth of your child! Just keep that perspective- labor is only about a day's worth, but you'll cherish Sophie for the rest of your life!!

Jill Anderson said...

@Karen: That's good to know. I didn't know that she'll settle into a spot a few weeks before. I assumed she could move around until I go into labor.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. :) I'll definitely be praying a lot!

KarenD said...

There comes a point when she can't move much more (toward the end) because she's too big! I'm telling you this now so you won't freak out when you notice that YOU can't feel her moving as much. :-)