Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thirty Weeks!

Thirty weeks! I can’t believe I’m so close to the end of this pregnancy journey. I remember being so excited that I was pregnant when I first found out. I’m still excited, but the excitement has changed from being excited about new pregnancy experiences to being excited about finally getting to meet our little girl. I’m not to the point where I’m sick of being pregnant, but I am anxious to meet Sophie. I still enjoy her little kicks and nudges and part of me wonders if I’ll miss this when she’s born or if I’ll just be happy to have my body back.

One thing I did get back – my appetite! I can eat! That may not be such a good thing, but I’m happy I can expand my menu choices to include old favorites like chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes– yum-o! Since getting my appetite back, my favorite meals have been home-cooked or “downhome” recipes. I’ve been craving chicken and dumplings so bad! I can’t wait until my Momma is here to cook me some of that deliciousness. I’m not able to eat large portions though, which is a good thing. I can eat small amounts several times a day, so I think Sophie is pressing on my stomach. Another slight problem is increased heartburn. I knew this would happen, but it’s with everything! I’m avoiding foods with any kind of red sauce – spaghetti, pizza, salsa – but yesterday I got heartburn from eating oatmeal! I shouldn’t complain too much, heartburn is way better to deal with than constant nausea and vomiting. At least during that aspect of my pregnancy I was so excited to be pregnant that I was happy I was sick.

Sophie’s definitely getting bigger. Her movements are stronger and I can see her move beneath my skin! I thought this experience would be an alien-freaky-like experience, but it’s actually really cool. I find myself staring at my stomach hoping I’ll catch her moving. This morning she made one of the biggest movements I’ve felt up to this point and I was disappointed I didn’t get to see it. I was still laying in bed, in the dark with no glasses! But it felt really neat.

At this point in her development, Sophie should be about 16 inches long and weigh about three pounds. I feel so huge already, how can I handle her gaining four to five more pounds? And it’s getting pretty achy “down there.” How much more achy will it get when she’s her full weight? Enough scary thoughts for the day – I banish them from my head.

Other not-so-scary questions are when am I supposed to pack my hospital bag? When should we have the nursery completely finished and ready to go? All through my pregnancy these questions have just been dismissed in my mind as stuff one does at the end of the pregnancy – but I’m here! I can’t believe I’m here. Only 68 days left! Excitement! Anxiousness! Nervousness! Happiness!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hospital Bag checklist with recommendations on when to pack etc. Hope this helps!

Lydia said...

Woah, the link above says to have the bag packed at the end of the second trimester! You're WAY behind! :) I figure a month out would be good, both for hospital bag and nursery.

And I stare at my belly, too! This morning, I think Caleb shifted around, and my whole stomach waved and rolled. It was crazy, but you're right: not the "Alien inside" feeling I thought it would be.

Jill Anderson said...

I know! I think that may be a little too early to have the bag packed. I don't have half the stuff on the list they say to have packed, so I guess it'll just have to wait until after my showers. ;)