Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lost in Transition

How many people actually do what they got their degree in? How many people choose another career by choice and how many just gradually end up doing something else because of life situations? I'm a statistics person. Well...when I'm trying to make decisions. I want to know the facts to figure out my chances of success.

Currently, I have a decent job, I make decent money, I have great benefits, and I like the town I live in. I'd like to start a family soon and it seems like the "right" time is just around the corner. But I'm not working a job that I want. I'm working a job that has great hours and pays the bills. I was offered this job right out of college and was excited because I'd finally be making money. But what risks should I take to have the job I want?

If I could be guaranteed the career of my choice, I'd be a writer. A magazine writer for such publications as National Geographic and Time. I'd eventually write a book and sell millions! :) I'd also be a freelance photographer on the side. Photos of precious daily childhood adventures would fill the walls of my house, as well as amazing sites from around the world.

The answer that's not in this dream is how I get there. What risks are necessary? Do I search for jobs everywhere? Do I look in my town? When do I look? After the new addition to the family or before? Another confession: I really want a vacation. I haven't had one that wasn't related to a family visit in seven years! Right now, I have vacation time, and I plan to use it. So, do I hold off my career aspirations until after vacation season?

Argh. I'm a planner. I want to plan everything in my life, but I know I can't. Right now certain things are fitting perfectly into my carefully thought out plan for life. I'm not sure how to handle it, so I'm bringing it to the table. The big, fat cyber table. :)

Vote on what Jill should do next. (It's like reality TV, but not scripted.)

7 comments:

Lydia said...

Steps:
1) Hold off until after vacation season, and take a great vacation. Take your mind off of career plans by surfing vacation sites.
2) If the time of relaxation hasn't eased your antsiness for a career change, start looking into writing spots (or whatever they're called).

Choose your own adventure:
3a) Quit your job when you're making enough money on the side that--given the extra time without the old job--you can completely replace your current income, or at least make enough to live just fine.
3b) Find a job, anywhere, that is the perfect fit for you. You're young, and you could go anywhere and adjust pretty well.

The only thought about going anywhere is that you might want to be close to family when you have kids.

I understand your dilemma. Do I really want to be working on the computer for the rest of my life?? I have other things I'd rather do. My goal is to make money, and have fun doing it. Someday (hopefully soon), I'll step out and do it.

Lydia said...

I seem to be pensive and willing to solve other people's problems today....I need to go to bed, and maybe I'll wake up with a smaller ego. :)

Anonymous said...

Go on vacation....and worry about the rest when you come back.

KarenD said...

Well, here's what I think. Stick with your current job for a while. Definitely take the much-needed vacation. Who knows? Maybe something will come of the grant writer position, and even if you don't want to be working there necessarily for the rest of your life, it'll be a great learning experience and resume builder. People don't stay put in jobs these days. I think, on average, people make job changes every 3-4 years.

I would also stay put if Sheldon is really going to school. (Is he?) Work your current job with the good pay and benefits while Sheldon is working on his degree. When he's done, hopefully he'll get a better job, and that will take off some of the pressure on you to "pay the bills."

I feel like I am just now starting out on following my dreams. (the freelance stuff) But I had to spend four years at the bank job, an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Even though it wasn't the dream job, I learned A TON that I am using today. John pulled cable his first year of working, and he said he learned a lot about people and customer service that way. So, even if the job isn't EXACTLY what you dreamed you would be doing, you gotta have a place to start. Just don't lose sight of your dreams, view the NOW as a time for learning and growing, and never pass up an opportunity when it presents itself. :-)

Lindsey said...

You can always try to drum up some freelance writing gigs on the side; write some articles, submit them to various magazines and online publications, and see what happens. Keep it as a hobby and get some experience under your belt while you have the "security" of another job. Maybe when baby comes, you'll make enough from freelancing to be the equivalent of a nice, flexible part-time job.

KarenD said...

So, no more weight tracker? I mean, that's fine... just curious. :-)

Jill Anderson said...

Thank you for all the great advice. I think we determined that Sheldon and I definitely need a vacation. :) It seems the best idea is to remain in a secure job while looking/working on freelance work to keep me fresh. I'm not sure why it took a blog and several comments for me to realize this, but it did. Since Sheldon's promotion, he doesn't really want to go to school. And I can't really force him...even though my whole life has been about education it seems. He's obviously not me.

@Karen: Yes, I do plan to still post it; I just haven't weighed in in a while. I plan to do it at the gym b/c we canceled our "subscription" to the other place.