Friday, July 18, 2008

Mommy-mobile: The compromise

We did it! We bought a new vehicle! Bye-bye big rig - hello little sweet, cute, fuel-efficient ride.

The background:
We had a 2002 Dodge Ram quad-cab pick-up truck. It was sweet. It made a lot of manly, macho noises. It had a grill guard. It was 4-wheel drive and lifted. It had big tires. And it had a big price tag when it came to gas and repairs.

Sheldon has fixed minor repairs on the truck for the past couple of months. Then the big-ticket repairs started revealing themselves. We put about $1500.00 into the truck recently, and Monday we had to take the truck in to the shop again. This time, it was going to cost $5000 minimum to fix the current problems, with the added bonus that the mechanic said that we would be better off just getting a different vehicle.

Even though I was willing to keep the truck because of its lower payment, I wasn’t willing to keep putting money into it along with the high gas price that came with it. So Sheldon started his search for a new vehicle while I was working.

The compromise:
The first time Sheldon called, he found a GMC Yukon Denali. My response: “Yeah, right. Babe, you do realize that we’ll be caring for three people in a few months and we’ll have to be able to afford to drive the vehicle.” No dice for Sheldon.

The second time Sheldon called: “I found a Chevrolet quad-cad pick-up truck.” The payment was only slightly less than double what our truck payment was. My response: “Seriously, can you please look at something that is slightly more fuel-efficient? Like a Honda. Can you go look at the Honda dealership?” Sheldon’s response: Pause. “I guess.”

The third time Sheldon called: “What about a Jeep Grand Cherokee? I’m test-driving one right now. I’ll bring it by your work.” My response: “I’ll look at it, but I didn’t like it last time I drove one.” After driving it for a while, we both weren’t too impressed with the Jeep for the price the dealership was asking.

My response: “Will you just go take a quick look at the Hondas?”

Sheldon: “But I have to have something to pull my boat.”

Me: “Ah-hah! I knew that’s what you were looking for. We don’t even own a boat.”

Sheldon: “I’m going to buy one next summer.”

Me: “Who knows what will be happening next summer. We may buy a boat, we may not. What I do know is we’ll have a little girl that we’re supposed to take care of.”

Sheldon: “I know. I’ll stop by the Honda place.”

The fourth time Sheldon called: “I just drove by the Honda place. The Elements aren't too bad.” My response: “Aren’t those the ugly, boxy-looking cars?” Sheldon: “Yah, but you’ll have to see it. It’s actually pretty nice.”

So long story short, we looked at the Honda Element after I got off work. We drove it and an Accord. I LOVED the Element. I never thought I would say that, but I do. Sheldon liked it because it was still sporty-looking and not completely van or sedan-looking. We both liked the bonus of fuel-efficiency and Sheldon was happy about the Element’s ability to tow up to 1500 pounds. We could possibly own a small boat.

So here it is - our fun new car. Anyone want to go for a ride?





9 comments:

Lydia said...

Congratulations!! I've never been an element fan for the same reasons, but maybe it deserves another look! Hooray for the new addition to your family.

Do you name your cars?

Jill Anderson said...

Not usually, but I was thinking of naming him Herbie because he reminds me of the little bug from the movie "Herbie". :) It's our little car that could.

KarenD said...

Well, at least it's not orange or green like the goofy ones I've seen driving around. So, you've become a silver SUV family, eh? Is it only 2-door? Hopefully it will be car-seat friendly, as most cars are these days. (Our older Sentra is NOT car-seat friendly, argh!)

Jill Anderson said...

It's actually considered a five-door vehicle. But that's just because they count the back door. The 3rd and 4th passenger doors are suicide doors. And it seems like it'll be really easy to get the kid with or without the carseat in and out.

Anonymous said...

Contrary to what people are saying, you like the vehicle and that is all that matters. I am so excited for you guys!! Happy travels!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much has happened since I last checked in here! Congratulations on all of the exciting developments in preparing for Sophie's arrival! The room looks great, and I can't wait to check out the new car in person.

Lydia said...

Um, what, exactly, are suicide doors, and why did they ever name them that??

Jill Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill Anderson said...

Ha! I know, it's a strange name for the doors. I'm not sure why they named them that because the person in the backseat can't open them unless the driver or passenger doors are open.

Anyway, "suicide" doors open (if you're standing on the drivers side of the car) from the left side rather than the right side. So if the drivers side door is open, the back door will be opened out in the opposite direction. So it's kindof like french doors open on the side of one's vehicle. :)