Friday, July 25, 2008

Nearing the end of twenty-six weeks!

It’s amazing that I’m almost in the third trimester. Officially on Tuesday, July 29, I will be there! Where did the second trimester go? I’m happy where we are on our projects-before-the-baby-gets-here list so far. It seemed like so much to get done, but we’re moving right along.

Done:
Clean out garage – check
Reorganize office - check
Move guest bed into office – check
Paint nursery – check
Buy and put crib together – check





Register for baby stuff – check
Buy paint for dresser – check
Repair dryer plug in house – check

Remaining tasks:
Paint dresser – this weekend, fingers crossed
Organize baby gifts and place in closet and newly painted dresser – sometime this week
Buy filing cabinet for paperwork so it’s not all over the office/guest room

The rest of the nursery organizing tasks will have to wait until after the baby shower. But until then, I can relax a little.

I had my glucose test doctor’s appointment yesterday. Yay. I hate needles, so that’s why I’m wasn’t too thrilled about getting my blood drawn again. The appointment went pretty good though. The glucose drink wasn’t bad, it tasted like orange soda. The phlebotomist was excellent as usual. Generally people can never stick me on the first try, apparently I have bad veins for drawing blood, but she always gets me the first time. I just had to wait awhile for the doctor to get back in the office – he was called to labor and delivery and delivered a little girl! How exciting! He must really like his job because when he came in the room where I was waiting, he was in a really good mood. I guess everything went well with the delivery.

Anyway, back to my little girl – her heartbeat was a strong 150 beats per minute and my belly measurements were right on target. Everything seemed great, until…

I got a call this morning from the doctor’s office. They informed me that my glucose level was slightly higher than what they’d like to see. My level was 144, and they don’t like to see higher than 140. So I have to go in to get the three-hour glucose test. Joy. Hopefully everything will be fine though. The doctor said the first test could come back as a “false positive” essentially and the longer test will tell whether or not I have gestational diabetes. The blood test also came back showing me as slightly anemic, which means I have an iron deficiency. That’s an easy fix - I just have to take an iron supplement once a day.

So until my next glucose appointment, well I guess the rest of my pregnancy, I’m going to try to be a good mommy and eat whole grains and more veggies. I have no problem getting the carbs and dairy! I could eat cheese and bread all day. I’m wondering if the iron deficiency is coming from my disgust of lots of red meat currently. I usually love the stuff, but since I’ve been pregnant I haven’t been able to look at a hamburger without gagging. The only red meat I’ve been able to stomach is a small, lean steak, and I have to eat it slowly. Another habit to reduce, not cut out completely, but reduce is my chocolate and ice cream intake. I can’t get enough of it. I’ll have to limit myself to one small dessert a day…no comment on the current intake.

The good news is I’ve only gained nine pounds since the beginning of my pregnancy. So I have to be doing something right!

How’s the little one this week? Well, she’s bee-bopping around in there more often and it still amazes me that she can kick me at the bottom of my uterus and the top at the same time. Talented one, she is. Babycenter says that Sophie is almost two pounds and should be about 14 inches long. Her hearing is improving and she should be able to hear Sheldon now or anyone else I have a conversation with…which brought up the question – can she hear the person on the other line if I’m on a cell phone? The sound is going in my head; does it reach down to her little ears? Hmmmm…. She’s also inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid which helps with the development of her lungs.

The countdown begins! T minus 95 days!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

How exciting for you to get all those projects done! I hope the diabetes test comes back okay and there are no further problems.

Good resolutions to eat right!! Keep at it!

elizadoohicky said...

i had issues with meat when preggers too, remember? i bought frozen hulled edamame and mixed them with peas (which I love, but you could mix them with whatever you like or eat them plain with a little salt) and they are very high in protein and good stuff.) if you can get more iron in your diet rather than a supplement you will be happier: iron supps tend to give MOST people a touch of constipation, which is no fun anyhow, but especially bad pregnant.

Sarah said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and you give me hope that I will complete my long to-do list before my baby arrives in January.