Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tidbits & Thoughts at 16 Weeks

I admit I’m a little late in posting my sixteen-week blog post - but only by two days. Life has been hectic lately.

Last week I had another rough day of “morning sickness.” Friends at work were sympathetic and gave me crackers with a cute note attached, flowers, and a Pregnancy for Dummies book. Does this stuff every go away?! I’m getting tired of it, but on the flip side I do have a lot more energy now than I had during my first trimester. It also reminds me that there’s a healthy little one growing inside me. And the presents made me feel better.





It’s fun to be at the point in my pregnancy that family is starting to get excited. It seemed like everyone was holding their breath during the first trimester hoping everything would go well. So far everything has been moving along according to schedule. Hearing the heartbeat at 13 weeks was definitely a milestone.

Our next milestone is being able to see the baby again, but this time in a more human-like form! Our ultrasound appointment is scheduled for May 27. I can’t wait. I want an updated picture of our little guy or gal. And…we’ll get to find out the gender of the babe! I’m not completely sure what our little one is, but I’m leaning toward girl for some reason. We’ll see if I’m right. Sheldon thinks it’s a boy, but that’s just because he wants a boy to be able to play in the dirt with.

BabyCenter says, “At 4 1/2 inches long (head to bottom) and 3 1/2 ounces, your baby is about the size of an avocado. In the next three weeks, she'll go through a tremendous growth spurt, though, doubling her weight and adding inches to her length. Her lower limbs are much more developed now. Her head is more erect than it has been, and her eyes have moved toward the front of her head. Your baby's ears are close to their final position, too. Some of her more advanced body systems are working, including her circulatory system and urinary tract. Her heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, circulating her total blood volume through her body many times. (By the end of your pregnancy, this will increase to about 190 quarts.) The patterning of her scalp has begun, though her hair isn't recognizable yet. Although closed, her eyes are moving (slowly), and she's even started growing toenails.”

No comments: