Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What triggers your thoughts about someone?

Sheldon has been out of town working for three weeks straight, excluding weekends. However, since I’m one part of a couple and not yet a family, it gets a little lonely when I’m at home or running errands that I normally would do with him.

Certain things pop out that remind me of him – things I normally wouldn’t notice if he’d been around. Yesterday I was at the grocery store (yes, by myself…scary!), and I saw a hot roll mix that Sheldon uses to make fresh cinnamon rolls. My mind went back to all the times Sheldon has been standing in the kitchen early on Saturday mornings wearing his pj pants and slippers rolling dough on the counter top with flour everywhere.

Rounding the corner of the aisle, there stood the fresh meat counter. Sheldon turns up his nose at pre-packaged steaks and heads straight for that counter every time he’s in the mood for a good steak. Proud that he has picked the perfect steak with the perfect seasoning, rub or marinade and we’re off to fire up the grill.

So what triggers memories/thoughts of your loved ones? Mine seem to be food-related, but in my defense I was at the grocery store and I’m pregnant. There’s always the rumbling muscle car or motorcycle that flies by and takes me back to when Sheldon and I were dating.

3 comments:

KarenD said...

I was shopping at The Children's Place, and they had a little mini Hawaiian shirt I had to buy for Ian because it reminded me of the day I met John... he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt!

You have been gone a lot! I miss you!

Jill Anderson said...

Aww! That's sweet. :)

I know, I miss you guys too. I was thinking maybe we could all (the group) do dinner next week? Since we'll have an announcement and all...fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

There is a song that Trisha Yearwood sings called, The Song Remembers When. Usually a song takes me to a memory of a person, place or time in my life. My life revolves around music so much.